Friday, February 8, 2013

NOT Just Written Because My Hoarding, Little Toes Got Stepped On In An Article

I'm a person who might be seen as a hoarder based on those ten points--though not entirely, as having my sink used as a litter box would totally gross me out, and I also try to keep my place smelling good.

However, there are certain things I would dispute about this article and have plans to write a counterpoint of my own about it.

For one thing...having hoarding seen as a psychiatric disorder. I smell a rat here, and the smell isn't coming from my house, either. Sounds like another designer "disease" for Big Pharma to get filthy rich pilling.

I think that some of us are too quick to judge others and label them (e.g. hoarders) without walking in their shoes.

This isn't just about the label of "hoarder," either. It's about labeling people in general whom we see as different from ourselves.

We have a tendency to want to tie our impressions up in neat, little labeled packages.

Each one of us has a story to tell, and to try to make an individual life fit into a cookie cutter shape is doing a great disservice to each and every one of us...


Ainsley Jo Phillips 
February 8, 2013