Friday, April 12, 2013

Response To A Post About
The Erstwhile Central State Hospital
In Indianapolis, Indiana



I'm currently writing a book in which one of the subjects covered is mental dis-ease. When it's finally written, it will be giving some very eye-opening views on the subject. I'm with the camp that has fellow campers such as Peter Breggin (a psychiatrist), Ginger Breggin (his wife) and Robert Whitaker (a fellow writer).

A story from my own family: My mom--Lillian Ainsley (Jobe) Phillips--was born & raised in Cunot; graduated from Cloverdale High School in 1939 (Her brother/My uncle, George Jobe, owned and operated Cloverdale Garage for many years.); and, after that, went to work at The Spencer Highway Grill (owned by the Teagarden family) in Spencer until she got a job at Delco-Remy in Anderson.

She usually commuted by Interurban with Uncle George picking her up at the station in Greencastle and driving her home/driving her to the station when it was time to return to work.

However, in time, she bought her own car and went back and forth that way.

Going and coming, she would pass by Central State Hospital.

We had a shirt-tail cousin named Bob Routt who lived in a house on a hill in Cunot on the west side of the highway.

One time, he asked my mom (tongue-in-cheek) how she ever managed to get by Central State Hospital without getting snatched up and taken inside to be admitted--to which she answered:

"I just pretend to be normal until I get past it, then I go back to being myself again!"


Ainsley Jo Phillips 
April 12, 2013